Dirty air ducts can pose respiratory health risks. They also emit a bad odor, contaminating the air and making the house uncomfortable. This is why it is important to keep your AC's air ducts clean, and you can do it yourself. Here are some DIY duct cleaning tips to get you started.
Air Duct Cleaning Supplies
You need a range of cleaning supplies to clean your AC's air ducts. These supplies include;
- A vacuum
- A brush
- Paper towels
- Cleaning cloths
- A new furnace filter
- A power drill
A power drill is necessary to unscrew bolts, but you can still use a screwdriver. Also, a standard household vacuum cleaner may not produce enough suction power, so consider finding a stronger vacuum.
It is also important to emphasize the importance of a furnace filter. A dirty furnace filter will spread dirt across the air ducts. As such, it is important to replace the filter periodically — more often than you clean the ducts. Finally, ensure that your gloves are thick and heavy-duty to avoid getting injured.
A Step-by-Step Guide
Cleaning air ducts is not difficult if you know your way around the system. Here is a step-by-step guide on how to go about it:
- Use the power drill (or screwdriver) to remove the air duct covers.
- Remove the return-air grill plates and cover the supply vents.
- Switch on the thermostat fen.
- Use the brush to loosen dust particles stuck inside the ducts.
- Attach the vacuum cleaner to one end of the house and use the brush and cloth to clean the supply registers.
- Clean the return registers.
- Shut off the furnace and fun.
- Clean the air boot and the blower compartment.
- Replace the furnace filter and screw back any loose parts.
It helps if you have basic technical skills, especially if your HVAC system has many complicated parts. However, the process can feel complicated when you get down to it. Fortunately, you can always solicit professional air duct cleaning services.
It is advisable to clean your AC's air ducts twice per year. It is also advisable to take the necessary hygiene measures to prevent contamination and molding. Basic maintenance measures include:
- Using an effective air filter
- Changing the filters regularly
- Fixing water leaks
- Keeping your home generally clean
- Preventing moisture in the air ducts.
Air duct cleaning is good for your home's comfort and your health. It also helps prolong the AC system's durability. You can do it yourself by following this simple guide. However, don't be shy to consult professional air duct cleaning services whenever necessary.