If you dropped eyeliner on your carpet, don't panic. It is possible to remove the stain. the key is using the right solution. However, you must remove the stain right away to avoid damaging the carpet fibers. Here are tips to clean eyeliner from carpet.
Dish Soap and White Vinegar
For this project, you need:
- work gloves
- white towels
- measuring cups and spoons
- baby wipes
- liquid dish soap
- white vinegar
- shaving cream
- make-up remover
- dry-cleaning solvent
The easiest method to remove the stain is dish washing liquid. Try to blot as much of the stain as possible with towels. Remove oil-based eyeliner with warm water.
Mix a tablespoon of dish washing liquid with two cups of warm water. Don't use anything other than white towels. The dye in colored towels may stain the carpet. Test cleaning solutions on a hidden area of carpet.
Gently blot the solution in the stain with a white paper towel or clean towel. Don't rub, or you will push the stain further in the carpet. If the carpet has looped fibers use a Q-tip.
Let the spot dry. Lay paper towels over the spot, and place a heavy object on them. After several hours, vacuum the carpet to fluff it.
Distilled white vinegar has acidic properties that makes it excellent for dissolving tough eyeliner stains. Mix a tablespoon of white vinegar in two cups of warm water. Gently blot the stain with a towel or paper towel.
Open a window for ventilation. Combine a tablespoon of ammonia in four ounces of warm water in a spray bottle for easy application. Even if your carpet is white, don't mix ammonia with other household cleaners, since it produces toxic fumes.
Spray some mixture on the stain, and blot. Dry the carpet naturally, so the ammonia can evaporate. Ammonia doesn't smell once it evaporates.
Ensure pets stay away from the area. Repeat, if necessary.
- Baby wipes are effective for removing eyeliner stains. Models frequently use the wipes to remove makeup.
- Dab the stain with liquid make-up remover and cotton ball.
- If all else fails, try dry-cleaning solvents. Be aware they can soak through carpet backing, so proceed with caution, and follow directions. Dab small amount on a rag or cotton ball, and blot.
- Apply a dollop of shaving cream to a towel, and dab it on the stain. Blot until the stain disappears. Rinse the towel, and blot the stain again to wash off the shaving cream.
Clean spills immediately to avoid carpet stains. If you don't trust your skill, or the stains still remains after trying all of these methods contact a cleaning service, such as Conscientious Carpet Care.